Our History

Good Samaritan Hospital Association was founded by farsighted, pioneer Lutheran pastors dedicated to community service. This sense of loyalty has been a landmark for the organization since its inception in 1904. The association, which has sustained Rugby's hospital and medical services since 1904, is supported by 27 area churches of several denominations.

Today the Good Samaritan Hospital Association, doing business as Heart of America Medical Center, is a licensed 25-bed critical access hospital, surgical suite and a nursing facility.

Haaland Estates, the association's 80-bed basic care facility and assisted living apartments, first opened as an intermediate care nursing home in 1962.

Johnson Clinic, founded in 1933 by Dr. Olafur W. Johnson, merged with Heart of America Medical Center to form Heart of America Johnson Clinics in 2010.



GoodSamaritanHospital1949.jpg

MyHealth Portal