Heart of America Medical Center’s Diabetes Education and Empowerment Program (DEEP) has been helping many who live with diabetes understand the disease and learn to manage it. DEEP is a free six week education program taught by Kathy Brandt, RD, LRD, CDE designed to teach people how to monitor and use the results adequately, understand risk factors, identify and prevent complications, meal planning, understand medications and medical care.
6 sessions for 6 weeks = 12 hrs.
· Week 1: Understanding the Human Body; Risk Factors
· Week 2: Monitoring Your Body – How to use a Blood Glucose Meter and using the results
· Week 3: Controlling Diabetes through Nutrition – Meal Planning
· Week 4: Get up and Move!
· Week 5: Diabetes Complications: Identify and Prevent
· Week 6: Learning about Medications and Medical Care
The three 6 week sessions are offered yearly at HAMC.
The DEEP program is free to those interested and the next session begins January 30th. The following dates are February 6th, 20th and 27th, March 6th and 20th. Participation in all six classes is encouraged.
Contact Kathy Brandt at 776.5455 ext. 2204 to register. A referral is not required from a provider.